Frequently Asked Questions
What Must I Give Up?
Question: What do you have to give up in order to become a Christian?
1. Some say that you don't have to give up anything. Some churches say that the homosexual can continue to practice his sin and still be a Christian (Rom. 6:1-2, 13, 16; 1 Cor. 6:9-11; Gal. 5:16-21).
2. Everything sinful must be laid aside (1 Pet. 2:1).
3. God's commandments are for our good always; always in our best interest (Deut. 6:24).
4. One may have to give up the approval of family or friends in order to become a Christian (Mt. 10:34-37). He certainly must give up the approval of the world (John 15:18-19).
5. It is a matter of complete commitment (Lk. 14:33). Ill. Man who after 15 frustrating years turned his business over to the Lord. When it burned, he was asked how he could be so calm. Said: "I gavethis business to the Lord; if He wants to burn it, it's His
6. Giving self to the Lord (2 Cor. 8:5; Gal. 2:20). Moving from All of Self, none of Thee, moving from mostly self, some of Thee, to None of Self, all of Thee.
7. This is where true joy is found (see book of Philippians).
8. Related passages: Eph. 4:20-24; It is a walk, a life, of ever becoming more and more like Jesus 2 Cor. 3; Rom. 8:29; Col. 1:27; Eph. 5:1ff.
© Copyright, Leon Mauldin, 1994-2007